header image


Who can apply for residential membership?

UBC graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty; graduate students and faculty from other institutions visiting UBC for academic reasons.

Are there deadlines for submitting membership applications?

No, applications are accepted throughout the year. In order to provide sufficient time for processing, we recommend that your completed application, together with all supporting documents, are submitted at least six weeks before your requested move-in date.

What is the application procedure?

Applicants must submit a completed St. John's College application form, a curriculum vitae, and a statement of interest indicating your interest in internationalism and how you can contribute to and benefit from college life. Applicants must also complete the SHHS Year-Round Housing Application. You will be notified when your application is complete.

Are there scholarships?

Generous donors have provided funds to endow Research Travel and Thesis Completion scholarships for St. John’s residents, as well as awards designated for international students. More information can be found here.

Can I e-mail my supporting documents?

Yes. You may send your statement of interest and CV by e-mail. All e-mailed documents should be sent to the Membership Coordinator at sjc.membership@ubc.ca.

Do you have housing for families?

Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate children under the age of 19.

I am a third year undergraduate in another country. Can I apply as a visiting student?

No. The College only accommodates graduate student and faculty from other institutions visiting UBC for academic purposes.

When will I know if I have been accepted?

The Membership Committee reviews applications approximately once per month. You will be notified of the decision shortly thereafter by email.

How much is the monthly rent?

Effective September 1, 2012
The St. John's College room fee chart can be found at the end of the Resident Contract.  Room fees are paid through Student Housing. Please note meal plan fees also apply and are paid at St. John's College.

Do potential residents have an opportunity to view the rooms?

Please contact the Membership Assistant in advance if you wish to book an appointment to view a room.

How large are the rooms?

Single room - approx. 230 sq. feet
Couples room - approx. 480 sq. feet
Post-Doctoral Fellow room - approx. 250 sq. feet

One Bedroom Suite


Single Unit

How are the rooms furnished?

Single rooms in the College are furnished with a private washroom, large closet with built-in organizers, desk, desk chair, desk lamp, bookcase, end table, easy chair, and twin bed. See Life at SJC.

Is the meal plan optional?

NO. Participation in the meal plan is compulsory as the sharing of meals plays an integral role in building community within the college. Residents may NOT opt out of the meal plan.

Is the meal plan for vegetarians?

YES. A vegetarian entrée is provided at every dinner.

What if I am unable to attend a dinner?

Credit vouchers are issued for missed dinners provided the resident completes a credit voucher request by noon of the previous business day. Residents may use credit vouchers to bring a guest(s) to dinner.  Reservations must be made with Chef by noon the day prior.

Does the College have parking?

Residents of the College may purchase parking from SHHS or UBC parking. For more details please visit: http://www.housing.ubc.ca/services-amenities/parking or http://parking.ubc.ca.

How do I get a telephone?


Is there internet access in the College?

YES. Every room in the College is equipped with a data port.

a place of mind, The University of British Columbia

St. John's College
2111 Lower Mall,
Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Tel: 604.822.8788
Fax: 604.822.8885

Emergency Procedures | Accessibility | Contact UBC  | © Copyright The University of British Columbia